Saturday, February 12, 2011

Flight

Photo is not mine
Believe it or not, I've only had one flying dream in my whole life. Just one. And it was relatively recent- not more than a few months ago.

In it, I was on a pebbled shore, barefoot, looking at the water and the shining wet rocks.  And saw a vibrant purple pelican. I looked at it, and it looked at me, and it flew away. And I felt the I needed to follow it. So I started flapping my arms and, much to my surprise, took off. I followed it around through tree tops. Through little neighborhoods. I didn't know where it was leading me. Suddenly, it looked back at me, still in flight, and I realized I was dreaming and that I wasn't going to be able to follow it anymore.

I got tangled up in a telephone line that showed up out of nowhere.

And I woke up.

I still think about the purple pelican. And I wonder where it was going- and why I wasn't allowed to follow any longer.

I keep my eyes open for it, though. Just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment