Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Confession:

Ok guys. Honest time.

I can't dance.

Literally. Like... at all. I have no rhythm. It's terrible. My hips don't move well (I like to credit that to their poor alignment and all my other chiropractic issues.. but I'm sure that has nothing to do with it) and I just... can't get my body to do what I will it to. And while it wasn't that bad in high school (any excuse to sit on the sidelines was acceptable by me) it was still a bit embarrassing, and now in my adult life it makes me little sad just because I love music so much. I frequently "dance" around the house when I'm alone, but if stumbled upon someone would probably think I was having some kind of fit. I make the stupid faces (because I feel like maybe people will think I'm meaning to be bad? That I'm just a joker like that?) and eventually resort to dorky gestures and "interpretive dance" moves, such as the lawnmower, chain saw, shopping cart, etc. While this is enough to get me in and out of a few awkward social situations- sometimes... its a problem.

For example: this weekend is Zombie Prom. Yes, you read that correctly. Zombie Prom. It's an event hosted every year by our local roller derby team and its something that I absolutely LOVE. Maybe I haven't shared this about myself yet but... I love zombies. About as much as I love sharks. As you can probably deduce- it is a dance in which people dress up like zombies and get jiggy with it. This year, my best friend and her boyfriend will be joining Nic and myself, along with many other friends. While this has obvious perks (bestie time helloooo!) this also has some serious issues...

Megs is a dancer

Every kind of dance. Belly dance. Jazz. Hip hop. Ballet. Strip tease (what?). You name it she's done it. (with the exception of some ballroom dancing. I've got the one up on her there! I ONCE did the waltz in Kensington Palace) She lives for it. Which means... me sitting on the sidelines with men is not going to be an option. Especially when a large percentage of the other attendees will know me and will encourage her. Which means.... I'm going to make a total ass of myself. And suddenly, my excitement has been somewhat diluted.

You know "that dream" that apparently everyone is supposed to have about showing up somewhere in their underwear? Well, since I love being pantless, I feel like my equivalent would be showing up somewhere and having to dance (although so far it's normally showing up on opening night to a play and discovering I'm in it....*oops tangent alert!*) and having everyone laugh at me.

 I had a goal, (that I forgot about until tonight) to comfortably learn Thriller before this years ZP because its a staple and that would at least be a set thing with directions for me to learn. So, just a few moments ago I decided to look up a tutorial and just "see" how I could do (Nic's in bed, so what the hell- right?) I failed miserably. And the worst part? My back hurts. After one try. So between my bad back, bad hips, bad knee, and bad coordination? This Saturday could be a disaster.

Thankfully- I've been recruited by FBXRG to take as many candid photos of attendees as possible so I'll be able to wander away to "get pictures" but that will likely only work a few times...

*heavy sigh* Wish me luck, rock lobsters. I'm going to need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment