Wednesday, March 16, 2011

REVIEW: Adele "21"

I absolutely adore Adele. Her voice is so haunting and like so many people have said before- because she isn't "mainstream"beautiful (but lovely nonetheless) her talent isn't being cheapened by her image. Her rich vocals are so emotive, and everything she sings touches me deeper than most music- a trait she shares with Mumford & Sons (Who would've thought rocker-girl me would be pushing THIS stuff?).

Last month, just a couple weeks ago in fact, her greatly anticipated album "21" was released. Her new singles "Rolling in the Deep" and "Someone Like You" are rightfully on their way up the charts, but with the exception of a few songs, they left me expecting more from the album. I love her classic style, and that you can sense so much of her inspiration from previous generations in her tracks, but I feel that a simple piano accompaniment, like in "Someone Like You" does her so much more justice.

I must admit, I am crazy over her version of Lovesong. I can't get enough of it. And it leads me to think that perhaps it's just the unfamiliarity of the new songs that are leaving me a little cooled off from my initial reaction. Nothing has jumped out at me as much as her singles, but I'm still willing to give it some time.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the new album?

In older news, somehow, I've gone this whole time not knowing she covered "Make You Feel My Love", the Bob Dylan original. For a very long time, the Garth Brooks version of this song has been a favorite of mine; but Adele blows it out of the water with such genuine emotion and ethereal vocals.

Take a listen, and let me know what new music is in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment